‘My mother begged Oxford social services to rescue me from sex abuse NINE YEARS AGO’: Victim known as Girl C, 13, says claims were dismissed as ‘inappropriate’
- ‘Girl C’ says Oxfordshire County Council gave her ‘no support or help at all’
- Contradicts council claims they were ‘closely involved’ in supporting her
- She was one of several victims of child sex gang who abused up to 22 girls
- Seven men yesterday found guilty of catalogue of child sex offences
- They have been remanded in custody to await sentencing next month
PUBLISHED: 11:55, 15 May 2013 | UPDATED: 10:20, 16 May 2013
One of the youngest victims of the Oxford paedophile ring has accused Oxfordshire County Council of lying about the support it has offered to her and her family.
The girl, who was first abused at 13 by the gang, who threatened to cut the head off the baby she had by one of them, says she was repeatedly let down by social services, despite their claiming they were ‘closely involved’ in supporting her.
The accusation comes as seven men were found guilty at the Old Bailey of a catalogue of offences including conspiracy to rape, child prostitution and trafficking over an eight-year period in the university city of Oxford.
Police and social workers have apologised to their victims for failing to rescue the vulnerable schoolgirls who were plucked from the streets and care homes to be drugged, raped and sold into prostitution.
Scroll down for video
Brothers Anjum Dogar (left) and Akhtar Dogar (right) have been convicted of offences involving underage girls
Zeeshan Ahmed (left) and Kamar Jamil (right) were among those convicted yesterday at the Old Bailey
Two sets of brothers, Akhtar Dogar, 32, and Anjum Dogar, 31, and Mohammed Karrar, 38, and Bassam Karrar, 33, were convicted along with Kamar Jamil, 27, Assad Hussain, 32, and Zeeshan Ahmed, 27.
The woman, known as Girl C to protect her anonymity, said that her adoptive mother begged social services for help in 2004 but agencies failed to help.
Two years later the council agreed to put her in a temporary care home, but by then she had fallen under the control of the gang, who plied her with crack cocaine. She said that when she tried to talk to staff at the care home, she was told the conversation was ‘inappropriate’.
In an interview with The Guardian, Girl C said: ‘The council put out a press release claiming they had offered wraparound care to all the girls and their families, but the first we heard from them in five years was a letter on April 13 from Jim Leivers [director for children, education and families at the council], where he says he’s been ‘closely involved in providing support’ to me.
‘That’s a complete lie. My family have had no support or offers of help at all from Oxfordshire. Nothing. Not at any point. Not even a phone call.’
She said the last contact she had with Oxfordshire County Council was five years ago when her mother begged them to help stop (Girl C) getting into trouble, and said that they ignored her then and ever since.
Girl C told police she was attacked by Bassam Karrar in a guest house in Oxford in November 2006 while he was said to be high on cocaine.
Officers found the girl in the basement ‘extremely distressed, crying and shaking’.
Brothers Bassam Karrar (left) and Mohammed Karrar (right) were found guilty at the Old Bailey
She told police she had been held against her will, drugged, raped and repeatedly smacked in the face.
The 14-year-old girl was taken to a police station where photographs were taken of her injuries.
But she later dropped her complaint after pleas from another girl who was seeing Karrar at the time.
A spokesman for the council said: ‘We are sorry the abuse was not stopped sooner. One of the elements of the Serious Case Review will be an investigation of the support offered to the girls by agencies including social services.
‘Our offer of a meeting with Girl [C] and her family was very sincere and similar offers to the other girls have been accepted. We want to do everything we can to help all the girls rebuild their lives and our door is open to Girl [C] and her family.’
Yesterday, fighting broke out in the dock at the Old Bailey after two other defendants – Mohammed Hussain, 25, and a man who cannot be named for legal reasons – were cleared. Zeeshan Ahmed struck out at Mohammed Hussain before being bundled out of the dock by officers.
The admissions of failure from the authorities came as it became apparent that police missed several chances to catch gang members before they were finally arrested.
Some victims relived their ordeals during the four-month trial, describing how they were groomed, beaten, betrayed and sold into prostitution around the country.
Joanna Simons, the council’s chief executive, apologised to the girls.
She said: ‘Oxfordshire County Council would like to pay tribute to the bravery of the witnesses that lin giving the evidence that led to the convictions that have been secured in court…
‘We would like to publicly apologise for not stopping this abuse sooner and to reassure everybody that we have learnt a huge number of lessons in terms of how to tackle this type of abuse and that we are now taking decisive action to stop it happening again in Oxfordshire.’
VIDEO: Oxfordshire County Council chief executive apologises (video can be found within the main article, link below